RTI is a founding partner of the Global Alliance for TB Drug Development. Currently, we are assisting the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) with efforts to accelerate the commercial availability of new treatments for tuberculosis. Our role is to stimulate the involvement of pharmaceutical companies, and our work includes
- Epidemiological analysis to assess global tuberculosis trends
- Business analysis to assess the market
- Technical analysis to document the potential of candidate compounds
- Promotion of those compounds to industry
Participating in the Global TB Alliance
As an active participant in the early development and operation of the Global Alliance for Tuberculosis Drug Development (TB Alliance), we have coordinated participant involvement in key elements of this public-private partnership, including
- Preparing a report on the economics of TB drug development—working with government, university, corporate, and multilateral organizations to present a business case for involvement in TB drug development
- Managing the development of the TB Alliance's first drug candidate for improved treatment of TB
- Serving as a partner in the TB Alliance's international stakeholder association.
Supporting TB Technology Transfer
We are managing a project to facilitate the transfer of new anti-tuberculosis compounds into development and commercialization. To build industry interest, we are gathering global epidemiology and market data for new TB drugs to present a business case for investing in drug development. As promising new compounds are identified, we work with suppliers to develop comprehensive promotional packages.
To aid commercialization, we are facilitating partnerships among pharmaceutical companies, universities, foundations, international health and financial organizations, and the National Institutes of Health.