Global Health Governance
We are pioneering the application of good governance practice as a major pillar of health sector development and health system strengthening. Good health governance is characterized by responsiveness and accountability, an open and transparent policy process, participatory engagement of citizens, and operational capacity of government. Health officials need to fulfill a number of key functions: planning, management, policy development, financing, regulation, and service delivery.
Drawing from our extensive experience in promoting decentralization, democracy, and governance, we are adapting tools of good governance to improve quality of, increase access to, and expand demand for health services. Our approach emphasizes:
- Development of systems of checks and balances between consumers, providers, and government that foster transparency and accountability to ensure equity and fairness in all aspects of health service delivery
- Introduction of effective regulatory mechanisms to reduce waste, improve management, minimize opportunities for corruption, assure quality services, and protect patients
- Promotion of informed citizen participation and oversight as a means of ensuring that decision-making processes and allocation and utilization of resources respond to the needs of the poor and vulnerable members of the population
- Building stewardship based on evidence, standards, and best practices
In pursuit of these health governance goals, we have developed innovative approaches in working with communities, civil society organizations, and local and central governments to enable them to take leadership in introducing and institutionalizing governance practices within health systems, facilities, protocols, and operating procedures.
- Decentralization of health systems
- Citizen participation
- Philippines: Strengthening Local Governance for Health Project (HealthGov). USAID (2006–2011)
- Rwanda: Twubakane Decentralization and Health Project (Twubakane). IntraHealth International (2005–2010)
- Guinea: Multi-Sectoral Interventions to Advance Democratic Governance in Guinea. USAID (2007–2009)
- Worldwide: Health Systems 20/20. Abt Associates (2006-2011)